Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Count My Blessings


It has been more than a year that someone has helped me with writing.  This past year has been one of major transition for our entire family . . .

At the end of March of last year, I moved back home to live with my family again after being in a group home for 14 years.  Emily, Peter and Adelaide moved into our new home a few months earlier.  My mom and grandma moved in a couple of weeks prior to my move.  The past few months have been a period of major adjustment for everyone.  We are still adjusting and trying to settle into a routine.  Living in harmony as a 4-generational household does not come naturally.  We have a lot of learning to do.

While I was still in the group home, I experienced agitation episodes on a regular basis – sometimes as frequent as several times a day.  The intensity of my agitation was also on the rise.  My mom took me to see a neurologist and he prescribed a medication for me.  My agitation totally disappeared, but I was also falling asleep all the time.  My medication dosage was regulated to allow me to function better in terms of being more alert and motivated.  As the frequency and intensity of my agitation reduced, my family was able to work with me and help me to improve the quality of my life.  In consultation with the neurologist, my medication was further reduced and as of January 22, I am no longer taking it. My family prefers to deal with my periodic agitation than to “drug” me.  I am very blessed that my family has my best interest in mind, rather than going for what is the easiest for them in terms of supporting me.

Peter bought me a tablet to explore how we can utilize technology to improve my communication (both how I can communicate to others and how others can communicate to me).  I killed the first tablet by kneeling on it.  Ouch to Peter’s pocket book, but lucky for me, as I ended up with an upgrade.  The tablet proves to be very helpful and that earned me another very nice upgrade.  As you can clearly see, I am really blessed with a loving and caring family!

As my family struggles with the day-to-day challenges of supporting me, it is easy to forget counting our blessings.  In addition to what I have already mentioned above, I have more blessings to count:

1.  It is very apparent to others that I am happier since I moved back home.  I have a space of my own that I feel safe and secured in it.

2.  Peter and Emily have worked very hard on setting up my tablet to be easy for me to use as a tool for communication and for making choices.

3.  I am vocalizing more and I have added a few more words to my limited vocabulary.  This proves to be very useful to me.  Being able to say "Future Shop" earns me trips to the store to look at speakers.

4.  I am now responsive (without being prompted) when others say "Good-bye" or "Good night" to me.  I also spontaneously say "Hi" to others when I see them.  This is something I have never done before in my life.

5.  I have developed new relationships by going to Dim Sum with Grandma and her friends and by attending a music group regularly.  These relationships are more "mothering" than "friendship" in nature.  Nonetheless, the experiences offer me the opportunity to interact with others outside of my immediate family.  It will be nice if I can meet up with younger people.

No comments: