Saturday, February 16, 2008

Musical Drama

My mom took me to a musical drama tonight. Even though the sound system had a lot of echoing and it squeaked loudly a couple of times, I didn't jump up and run away because there was so much music and singing. It did make me nervous and my palms were sweaty most of the evening.

The drama was about a couple whose relationship was romantic and loving when they were dating. It was a totally different story after marriage. They fought constantly and hated each other. The moral of the story was that good relationships do not happen naturally. It is important for couples to invest their time and energy in building and nurturing their relationships. It was touching to hear the actor and actress shared the dark moments of their own marriage. Through acting in this drama, their weakness and vulnerability hit home. They started to pray together and rebuild their relationship.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. . . . . And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (I Corinthians 13: 4-8; 13) My sister could recite the above passages (in Chinese) when she was two-years-old.

My mom and dad had good relationships. They had differences in opinions, but they respected each other's view points. They had a few arguments, but could always worked things out. In their 7+ years of marriage, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times they became confrontational.

No comments: