Sunday, July 20, 2008

Aftermath

Other than a big bruise on my right upper arm, I appear to be fine after the bike accident. My mom examines me every day and asks me if I am sore. I don't understand what she is asking, so she has to use her judgment to determine the appropriate course of action. Since she has a lot of pain, she assumes that I have some pain too. She decided to give me one small dose of anti-inflammatory a day for pain relief as well as prevention of local tissue inflammation/reaction.

My mom had so much pain the first day that she needed to take both muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory. She went to bed before 9 pm., which is extremely unusual for her. She woke up every hour from pain, mostly in her left shoulder.

My mom notices new bruises in addition to the goose egg on the back of her left hand:

1. Bruise on her left palm, medial to the base of her thumb. No wonder it hurts so much when she tries to use her thumb. She can't even hold onto a pen firm enough to remove the cap.

2. Bruises on her left forearm and elbow

3. Bruises on the left side of her chest and left hip

5. Bruises on her left thigh and left knee

6. Bruises on the base of her right thumb, right knee and right lower leg

She does not see any bruise on her left shoulder, even though that hurts the most. She has trouble using her left arm to turn the steering wheel. So, her right arm has to take care of both changing gears and turning the steering wheel. My mom does not want you to be alarmed. She is slowly getting better. She is coping well and when you see her, you cannot even tell she is in pain.

No comments: