Sunday, July 27, 2008

Travel Fever

We had gorgeous weather today. My mom felt it was such a shame that she could not take me out on a bike ride. Her left shoulder and hand are still too sore for her to feel comfortable taking me out on my bike. Furthermore, the steering wheel on her side is a bit off after the bike accident. She does not have the strength in her left arm to fix it. She is also not sure if she knows how to. My mom decided to take me out for a walk instead. The plan was dropped as it suddenly rained heavily and hailed.

My grandma is going on a 6-day bus tour to Regina and Winnipeg leaving in the morning. A friend of hers is also going and she lives near the location for boarding the bus. So, my grandma went over tonight to her friend’s home to sleep over. Initially, my mom did not intend to take me along for a car ride, as it would be close to my bedtime. Since she felt guilty about not taking me on a bike ride, and then failing to take me out on a walk, she changed her mind.

As my mom helped me with putting my shoes on, I saw the suitcase. I started to giggle loudly and uncontrollably. I giggled all the way out to the van, and I continued to giggle aloud on our way to drop Grandma off. My mom has heard me giggle in my sleep while on a cruise, but she has never seen me laugh like this and for such long duration.

My mom suspects that I am suffering from “travel fever”. Before I continue, I need to clarify what I mean to my non-Chinese friends. I am not talking about Post Travel Fever. When the Chinese talk about someone has a fever (發燒友) for something, it means the person is crazy about it. Having a “travel fever” means I love traveling to the extreme. I was so delirious with joy because I thought I was going away on a trip.

I saw the suitcase went with Grandma when we dropped her off. My mom also told me we were going home. No more giggles from me.

No comments: