Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Laundromat

I used to enjoy going out, but now I often refuse to go out with my caregivers for walks. In order to stimulate my interest for going out, my mom decided to take me to a laundromat about 6 - 7 blocks from home. With the help of a caregiver, my mom took me out. She told me we were going to see big washers and dryers. I understood the words, but I didn't really know what she meant.

It was like tug-of-war part of the way to our destination. When we eventually arrived at the laundromat, I quickly walked in. I sat and watched the washer contents spin round and round. We stayed for about half an hour. It was another tug-of-war trying to get me home, as I kept wanting to return to the laundromat. We visited the laundromat again the next day. When my mom told me about big washers and dryers, I knew exactly what she meant.

Tonight I refused to go out with my caregivers again. When my mom learned about that, she asked if I wanted to see big washers and dryers. I walked with my mom hand-in-hand to the laundromat. We stayed for about 10 minutes only. I wasn't ready to leave, but I listened. We met 5 dogs on our way home. My mom held my hand and reassured me. I walked on calmly, as my mom redirected my attention to sprinklers and a truck with flashing lights.

I was so well behaved that my mom rewarded me with a small bowl of taro chips and a glass of orange juice after we got home.

No comments: