Thursday, March 19, 2009

Deficits

The management of my home will be switched over to a service provider on April 1. Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) provides funds to pay for the staff to look after me and my roommates. My mom does not get paid for managing the home or for covering staff shortages and providing personal care to my roommates. As her contract with PDD draws to an end, she noticed that the funds in the bank account are lower than expected. She went through her financial records and discovered some mistakes in her invoices to PDD. So far, she found out that she has under-billed PDD by $7,000+ in 2007. My mom is very upset with herself for the mistakes. She needs to remember that she has been too busy and stretched over the past few years. It is not surprising at all for her to make mistakes. After all, she is a nurse, not an accountant. It is becoming nerve wrecking for her as she continues to find more mistakes.

My mom has been totally stressed out as she knows it is difficult to recover funds for previous years. She is very thankful that the financial clerk at PDD has been very kind and patient. This has certainly helped her in coping with the situation. PDD's decision is not to release funds at this time. My mom has to come up with her own money to cover for the shortages of the March payroll. It is unknown at this time how many thousand dollars she needs. She will meet with PDD in May to resolve the problem. My mom will need to celebrate when this real life nightmare is over.

No comments: