Thursday, April 2, 2009

Making Choices

To help a friend, my mom attended a 3-hour workshop last Saturday to be an observer and wrote a summary report of the event. I am 100% sure that none of you can guess what the workshop was all about. It was a workshop on film-making! As you may know, my mom is not even good in taking pictures. It is really a stretch for her to learn to be a film-maker and/or director. She participated in the activities of the workshop, such as designing how to shoot a scene and how to direct the crew and the actors. All the other participants were young men and women. They must wonder why this old woman wanted to learn how to make a movie.

Saturday nights are my sleep over nights at my mom's home. With movie on her mind, she put on the Sound of Music for me to watch before I went to bed. As soon as I saw Julie Andrews' picture on the cover of the DVD, I said, "Do-Re-Mi". She was really surprised that I already knew what I was about to watch.

I do know a lot more than what I have been given credit for. When others are not cognizant of my capacity and abilities, it is easy for them to set low expectations for me. This becomes a barrier for me to reach my potentials. Very often, I am not allowed to make choices I am capable of. Everything is decided for me for "my own good". I would like you to know that I want to be given the opportunities to make some choices in my life. This is how I will learn and grow.

No comments: