Friday, May 8, 2009

Back Pain

My mom's back has been bothering her for some time. It gets worse in the evening when she is tired. She didn't really do anything drastic that injured her back. But she has been moving furniture, carrying heavy stuff, and sometimes I "wrestle" with her when I decide not to comply.

Yesterday, my mom's back was so sore that she had to go to bed. She figured it was triggered by fixing the kitchen cabinet door hinges. Half way through the job, she decided to quit to give her back a break and finished the job the next day. She rested a lot today and started to feel better.

The lock to the courtyard was not working properly and the door could not be opened. Since this is a safety issue, she decided to fix it right away. She is not a locksmith. Every time she replaces a lock, she has to screw and unscrew many times before she gets it right. Repetitive movements are challenging for her. At the best of times, this task can trigger pain.

I got curious about what she was doing and I offered my assistance by grabbing the screw driver. With hand over hand assistance, I did some of the screwing for her. It is good that I can help, even if it is only in small ways.

No comments: