Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dental Appointment

I had an appointment to clean my teeth yesterday. Having a dental appointment for you may be as simple as getting there on time. For me, it requires a lot of preparations. One time, when my auntie cleaned my teeth, I clamped my teeth on the mirror. It horrified everyone present to hear the cracking of the glass inside my month. I wouldn't let go of my bite for a long time. Thank God the mirror did not shatter in my month. I continued to crush a few of my auntie's dental tools. The other times that I had my teeth cleaned were either under anesthetic or given medication to make me sleep.

I will not allow my teeth to be brushed properly and I have not had my teeth examined or cleaned for a few years. So, my mom would really like to have it done. She obtained a prescription from my doctor for a sleeping pill. She delayed my bedtime the night before. I was waken up early in the morning to help in making me tired in the afternoon. I was given the sleeping pill after I return home from my volunteering. My mom put me to bed in our van. I fell asleep almost instantly. When I started to snore loudly, my mom drove me to the dental office. I woke up when she turned the ignition off.

I could recognize the place and I immediately switched to a high alert mode. My mom tried very hard to coax me back to sleep, but I didn't feel safe to doze off. When it was time for my appointment, my mom used a wheelchair to wheel me in even though she didn't have any confidence that I would allow my teeth to be cleaned. I saw many familiar faces at the office - family and friends. That helped me to calm down a bit. My cousin (the dentist) came in and sat right next to me. While we were waiting in the parking lot, my mom explained to me that my cousin would be brushing my teeth for me. I started to make sense of what my mom was telling me.

When my mom told me to open my mouth for my cousin, I comply. Other than wiggling away from time to time, I allowed my cousin to clean my teeth. My mom helped in keeping my mouth open and she spoke to me calmly and praised me the whole time. My cousin managed to clean the front of both my upper and lower teeth. They didn't want to push their luck too much and decided not to do the entire job in one sitting. I will have to go back another time. May be or may be not. My cousin noticed that I have a wisdom tooth coming out and there is not enough room for it. I may have to go under anesthetic to get the wisdom tooth pulled out. In such case, any other dental work that needs to be done can be taken care of at the same time.

No comments: