Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Snow

Sunday (2 days ago) was a miserable day. It snowed all day and the wind was bitterly cold. My sister and mom decided not to shovel the snow until it stopped snowing. Yesterday, the sun was out and the wind was not as strong. It was still cold though - minus 46 C with windchill. Due to the extreme cold weather, my mom worried that our snow blower might not start. She hauled the snow blower inside the house to warm it up. It was a challenge for her to lug the snow blower up and down the stairs.

We had a lot of snow on the ground. As a result of the strong wind, snow was almost knee high at some parts of the parking lot. Without the snow blower it would have been very difficult to clear the snow. It took more than 2 hours using the snow blower. I cannot imagine how long it would take by hand. I am thankful that two of my caregivers went out to help my mom. Without help my mom would have to be flat in bed today. She is sore, but is able to get out of bed and be somewhat functional.

Last evening, due to shortage of staff I went over to visit with my mom until the second staff came in for her shift. My mom would have kept me longer if she weren't so tired. She persuaded me to play the piano so that she could rest while sitting beside me. I played the songs she regularly practices. My attention span tends to be short, so I soon lost interest and wanted to stop playing. To keep me at the piano, my mom started to sing a favorite song of mine, Majesty. My mom is a terrible singer and she cannot remember the whole song and most of the lyrics. She opened a hymn book to see if she could find the song. No luck!

"Let me find a song you know." She said. "How about He is Lord?"

Before she could find the page, I was already playing the song. You see, my mom has no idea how much I know.

No comments: