Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Flying Home

We got up at 3:30 am. to go to the airport to catch our flights home. Emily and Peter headed for Vancouver while my mom and I headed for Edmonton. The flight my mom and I was going to catch was moved ahead by an hour to 6 am. We were not notified of the changed schedule. The check-in line was so slow moving that by the time we checked in, it was too late. Emily and Peter were very worried when they departed on their flight home.

We went on the standby list for the morning flight to Chicago so that we could catch our connection flight back to Edmonton. Unfortunately, there was only one seat available. One passenger was very kind and offered her seat to us so that we could catch the flight. However, the United Airline staff told us that it was not allowed. They booked us for the 3:17 pm. flight to Chicago and the 10:30 am. flight to Edmonton. They suggested that we could standby for the 8:00 pm. flight to Edmonton.

Thank God Emily was able to get me a wheelchair making it easier for my mom to manage the next 8 hours at the airport. There are two shuttles connecting the terminal to Gates #1 - 29 and Gates #30 - 49. My mom took me on these two shuttles back and forth to kill time. Every time, she took me onto the first car and placed me directly facing the front window. I loved it and made "wee" and "ooo" sounds. One time, the lady standing next to me chuckled because of my obvious joy. She said, "another Disney ride!" Whenever we were off the shuttle for a while, I would make a request for "toot-toot train".

We were not as lucky at the Chicago airport. There was no wheelchair upon our arrival. My mom tried to get a staff member to help, but she said that was not her job and left. A passenger was very kind and he went to another gate and asked the staff there to call for a wheelchair for me. In the meantime, a dog showed up right next to me. I started to dash off as my mom tried her best to hang onto me. Eventually, the wheelchair arrived and we were taken to the other end of the terminal. We were not allowed to keep the wheelchair. By that time, I was impatient and I didn't want to sit still. My mom took me to walk around, with our belongings in tow. We came across another dog. My mom spotted it right away and directed me toward a different direction. I saw it too, but since my mom was already leading me to the opposite direction, I was able to stay calm.

There was a MacDonald at the airport. My mom bought me some foods there and that kept me contented for a while. My mom was relieved that I was willing to sit with her while waiting to board the 8:00 pm. flight. We arrived home late in the evening. I went to bed at around midnight (2 am. Orlando time). It was a long day for us. What amazes my mom was that even though I didn't have enough sleep the night before, I stayed awake the whole day.

No comments: