Thursday, February 5, 2009

Comfort Foods

My mom has been feeling stressed and she turns to foods for comfort. Every so often she jumps out of her chair, hops downstairs looking for a bite. She tries to pick healthy choices, such as fresh fruits. She generally doesn't go for sweets. However, she has a pitfall - nuts.

In the afternoon, she heads outside to remove the packed ice on the parking lot as a strategy to suppress her urge for comfort foods. This also gives her an hour or two of needed exercise. The activity gives her the added bonus of stress relief.

When I come home from my volunteer job and see my mom attacking the ice with vengeance, I offer my help. My contribution doesn't lie in how much I do. To be honest with you, I really don't know how to do the job. I have a support worker who is willing to take the time to teach me. With his help, we have cleared a section of the parking lot for safe passenger loading.

No comments: