Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Contributions

It has been two weeks now and my mom has not recovered a 100 percent yet from the flu. Her bones are still aching and her energy level is low. The flu has now triggered her allergic asthma giving her an irritating cough. Being sick forces my mom to slow down and to take rest periods. This give her the time to reflect on what has been happening in our lives.

I am devalued when others view people with disabilities as burden to society. My mom knows this is not right, and yet she finds herself trapped in this inappropriate negativity. She is very thankful that Emily and Peter care so much about me, but is also concerned about me being a burden for them.

It is important for others to keep in mind that I am able to contribute in different ways. I can help people around me to become more loving, caring, patient and compassionate. My mom is proud of her problem solving skills. Little does she know that I am the one who trains her over the years to become who she is today. Caring for me enhances her critical thinking and creativity.

No comments: