Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Circle of Friends

My mom has attended several workshops recently to learn about such concepts as inclusion, community living, valued roles, relationships and supportive circle. It opened her eyes to the endless possibilities for me. Tonight, she was at a workshop on the Deohaeko Support Network. At present, my mom cannot visualize this to be a feasible option for me. She maintains an open mind and will not hesitate in trying new ideas.

I have lived a good life, but there is something missing. My relationships are limited to my immediate family and paid caregivers. I am in contact with a large number of people - extended family and church. However, for the most part, all I have is purely my physical presence with very little interaction with others. I have not built connections or relationships outside of my close contacts.

I am sure you have friends and they are important to you. My mom has not thought about the possibility of me making friends. After hearing different stories about how the lives of people with disability can be enriched by having a circle of friends, my mom would like to help me in creating meaningful relationships. It is not going to be easy and it will be time-consuming.

Sooner or later, my mom will no longer be able to look after me. It will be good to have a supportive network to look out for me. It does not mean they have to step in to care for me the same way my mom does. Having a group of people in my life who knows me well can make a difference. I will not be totally dependent on one person. Sometimes, my mom feels all alone and unsupported. I know she does not want my sister to be in the same situation when she is no longer around. I also know it has been overwhelming for my sister when she thinks of the future.

No comments: