Thursday, October 4, 2007

Monopoly

When my mom practiced piano, I went over and chased her off the piano so that I could play. That was exactly what I did to my sister years ago. I monopolized the piano and would not allow my sister to practice her lessons. The only time she could practice was after I fell asleep in the evening. Just imagine how hard it was for her. No wonder she was reluctant to practice. I was her barrier in developing an interest in piano playing. It is a shame that she does not play the piano any more. I know I am guilty.

My sister watched me play "O Canada" and was impressed by it. My mom started off guiding my fingers to the right keys and I continued on my own. I can play various parts of the song right. Not 100% right, but one can recognize the melody. My mom has not taught me the whole song yet as she has trouble doing so. She plays the song with two hands and she teaches me how to play with one hand. She manages to figure out the one-hand play for about half of the song only. I am moving faster than her capacity to teach me. As I have told you before, my mom does not have music talent. I notice that after teaching me, she is struggling a bit playing with two hands. You see, she could memorize the song for some time already. Now, she is messed up because of teaching me. As I progress, my mom regresses.

No comments: