Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Piano

I used to love playing the piano. I played everyday and I could spend over an hour at a time in front of my piano. Then, suddenly, I didn't want to play any more. When my mom opened the piano, I would go and close it. I have not touched my piano for years. My mom was saddened by this change and she wanted to regenerate my interest.

She started taking piano lessons about 3 months ago. This is really tough for her because, unlike me (I have talent in music), she is really "musically challenged". At her last lesson, she did poorly as one week was not enough time for her to practice all the new music. Thank God her piano teacher is busy and gives my mom 2 weeks off. She practices diligently everyday to catch up. She can memorize "O Canada" now.

Initially, I stayed away from the piano when my mom practiced. Gradually, I began to sit in front of the piano and played a few notes with my mom giving me hand-over-hand assistance. One of my mom's first lessons was playing "CDE EDC CDEDC CCC". I love that and I laugh every time the tune is being played. Now when my mom places my fingers over the right keys, I can play it on my own.

Tonight, I got brave and I sat beside my mom as she played "O Canada". She encouraged me to play along with her and I did. I don't know the notes, but I know the rhythm. I know when the song ends. I clapped my hands to encourage her and to cheer her on.

Fundraising update - I have raised $3,120.

No comments: