Friday, December 7, 2007

Lahaina, Maui


Located on the northwest coast of Maui, Lahaina used to be the whaling capital of the mid-Pacific. The warm waters are haven for humpback whales. They come from Alaska to mate and bear their young off the coasts of Maui.

We took a free shuttle to the Whalers Village, Ka'anapali. The driver suggested visiting the Whalers Village Museum and taking a stroll along the beach walk which links the beaches and resort areas. My mom directed Grandma and Auntie to the museum, but she couldn't go because museums are of no interest to me. We never got to the broadwalk because I was attracted by Christmas music coming from a store called Maui Toy Works. I stayed in the store for over half an hour listening to the music. My mom tried to persuade me to leave the store. She succeeded a few times in getting me to step out of the store. But, I ran back in again and again.

The people at this store were wonderful. My mom appreciated their kindness and that they didn't make us feel unwelcome. I have been to stores where staff were impatient and sometimes even hostile. My mom has taught me well in keeping my hands down and not to touch anything in stores, so I am not a trouble maker. It upsets my mom when I am not treated with respect.

No comments: