Saturday, December 22, 2007

Proactive


Due to shortage of staff, I get to spend more time with my mom. I slept over at my mom's home last night and I stayed with her till supper time today. After she tucked me in, she worked on calculating the staff's retention bonus offered by PDD (the government funder). When she was done at around 2 am. she could hear that I was up. She came downstairs and coached me back to sleep. She didn't get back upstairs to her bedroom till 5 am.

After my mom reflected on the course of events, she realized that she could have completely changed the situation if she had been proactive. My sister gave a CD to my mom before she left for Australia. My mom should have put the CD away. The songs are new to me and I have a tendency to fixate on novelties. The music was on when I went to bed and I was happy. My mom removed the CD for fear that I might damage it. I got up in the middle of the night looking for the CD. That was the reason I refused to go back to sleep. Being tired, my mom didn't think of putting the music back on for me.

Today, she took me to a Christmas party at the Alberta Association of Community Living which is an organization that promotes community inclusion. At the end of the party, I got to choose a gift. Guess what I chose?

Anybody who knows me will not be surprised that I chose a washing machine. One of my favorite entertainments at home is to sit in front of our washer to watch the clothes tumble. This washing machine comes with laundry soap, laundry basket and some clothes. It has a soap dispenser I can pull out and there are different buttons I can push. I can also manually turn the drum to see the clothes tumble inside. It can actually be battery operated and it has sounds and lights. I will need my mom's help with using batteries.

No comments: